Wednesday, March 25, 2015

A Spool of Blue Thread by Anne Tyler


A Spool of Blue Thread by Anne Tyler

OK, I am the only person in America who has never read a book by Anne Tyler.  But I happened to hear Diane Rehm interview Anne Tyler about her new book, The Blue Spool. Now I don't generally like multi-generational family sagas because they are usually too long and I get lost in the complicated genealogy. But I decided to give it a try and I was not disappointed. 

The book is about three generations of the Whitshank family of Baltimore.  The really strong point of the book is how well drawn each character is.  They are people you know or might meet at the grocery. The down side is that the story is not well defined. You sort of walk into the family, move backward and forward in time, and then just walk out. 

It was a good read and I will probably try another of her books. 

3 comments:

Rambling Woods said...

Ohhhh... My kind of book!!

Florence said...

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Oh you have so much joy ahead of you if this is the first book you've read by AT.... they are all this kind of 'people/family' books and I have loved every one of them. All set in Baltimore but every one contains so many truths about family and relationships -- even though I've never lived there. I love her writing.