Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Around Oak Meadows

Around OakMeadows

We had a week of spring weather and it was lovely. Yesterday a cold front blew through and dropped temperatures down to near freezing. Once upon a time, I really loved cold weather but not so much now, in fact not at all. I now understand why people go to Tucson for the winter. Anyway, the temperature will be up to near 60 tomorrow so I can't really complain. (But I do anyway...)

We finished the well and the shed and have had the electrical lines installed. Now we are waiting for the irrigation system workmen to start work. 

We are watching David Attenborough's Life in the Undergrowth.  It is fantastic! I can't believe we have never seen it.  The camera work is incredible!

The goldfinches are cleaning out the thistle feeders as soon as Joe fills them up. The gluttonous blackbirds are scarfing down all the sunflower seed and the squirrels are fat  and sassy with all the peanuts. We found a large raccoon dead. He must have died of old-age or disease because he hadn't been torn up by the coyotes. 

The monster quilt is progressing s l o w l y. 10 blocks down--only 46 more to go. Ack!!

Lots of good reading! Wartime Britain by Juliet Gardiner is the best on the subject that I've ever read. The GoodReads History Group is doing a group read of Eisenhower in War and Peace by Jean Edward Smith and it is good too. I just started The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah which is light historical fiction--good so far. 

Cooking: Shrimp Jambalaya, Chicken Parmigiana, and Veggie Soup. Baked Chocolate Chip Cookies.  Lots of good eating. 

That's the news from OakMeadows where the people are all retired and the cats are all above average. 

6 comments:

NatureFootstep said...

lol, it´s a beautiful medaow you are sharing, and your day too. :)

Florence said...

Thank you, Nature Footstep for stopping by! I feel so fortunate to live in such a beautiful sport!

Florence said...

Thank you, Nature Footstep for stopping by! I feel so fortunate to live in such a beautiful sport!

Hootin Anni said...

The weather has been phenomenal for sure. We had frost on our rooftop this morning and yesterday.

By the way, I lived in Tucson for a decade...year 'round. I'll take a bit of frost for a couple of hours in the morning before I live through another summer in Tucson.

Florence said...

You are right, Anni! A little frost on a couple of days is preferable to a summer inTucson. Although the few times I was in Tucson, I really liked it.

Rambling Woods said...

That program is wonderful.... I hope things warm up for all of us.... Michelle