Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Around OakMeadows

 

I finally finished the AARP Safe Driver online course. Joe is about half way through. I can't say that I learned a whole lot but it was a good review and a good reminder that my vision and reflexes are not as good as they once were. As soon as he finishes, I can contact USAA to get our safe driver discount. 

Another area that I have checked into is our electricity provider. Our one-year contract with Reliant will expire in May so I went to www.powertochoose.com to see if I could get a better rate elsewhere. I can get a 3-year contract with Yep for 2 cents per kilowatt hour less. I really like the power to choose site because you can see exactly how many customer complaints the company has had in the past 6 months. I certainly don't want to sign up with a company that is less expensive but screws up the billing. Anyway, Yep has a good customer complaint/satisfaction level so I will be changing over this week. While 2 cents per kilowatt hour doesn't sound like much, when summer comes and the a/c is on every little bit helps. 

My quilting project, the baby quilt, is coming along nicely. The fabrics are going together even better than I thought. I hope to have it layered and basted this week. 

Joe installed the new blinds in the guest bedroom and how much brighter it made that room!  The two antique map prints are at Hobby Lobby being framed and may be ready sometime next week. One of the maps is of Galveston (where Joe and I and our daughter were born) at the turn of the century.  Then the next thing I want to do is get new bed linens. I saw that Penney's has a sale on bedding and should get a move on it before the sale ends. 

I finished reading Mr. Churchill's Secretary by Susan MacNeal. It was pretty good if highly improbable.  I am plodding ever onward through Hot: Living through the Next 50 Years on Earth. It has turned 100 Pages of good information into 500 pages of wordiness. I soldier on through it out of dogged determination to get all 100 of the worthwhile pages.  I have started on Washington: The Indispensable Man and so far it is excellent. Just got an email from the library that The Twelve Tribes of Hattie is in and ready for pickup.  Libraries today are so wonderful! I remember how much I loved Rosenberg library in Galveston when I was growing up. The massive oaks surrounding it and climbing up the steps before going through the huge doors. But there were no convenient branches ( though there was a bookmobile that came to our elementary school).  Now you just go on the Internet instead of going through the card catalog and request the book and it is sent to your nearest branch library for pick up. That, my friend, is progress!

Our trip to Louisiana has once again been postponed. I'm beginning to think that it just wasn't meant to happen this year. Oh well, maybe next week....






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog today. I enjoyed your post. I wasn't born at the turn of the century, but need to check out the AARP diver thing. So does my 84-year old hubby. Sounds like you have some interesting books underway. Dianne

Florence said...

Hi Dianne! I love your blog! Joe finished the online driving class today. I love to read and almost always have two going at once. Love history and science books especially.

Rambling Woods said...

We take a course to reduce our car insurance... I too love to read... Michelle