Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Around OakMeadows

 

Saturday afternoon Joe and I took BBQ and all the fixings to Paul and Wendy's house for all the people who have been watching over Aunt Liz. It was a wonderful time of food, fellowship, and relaxation for those who were physically and emotionally exhausted. I am so glad that we did it because Liz died late that evening. At least everyone had a good meal and knew that people cared about what they were going through. The funeral is set for Wednesday.

We seem to have lost our sweet MistyKitty. She went out Friday evening and didn't come back. She could have been killed by an owl or coyote. We hope that she comes back home but really don't expect it. 

Now for some good news. 

I decided to make a baby quilt for my next quilt and found just the perfect fabric in blues, yellows, and cream colors. I've made the pattern before and it goes together easily. There were a couple of of fabrics that I really liked and I thought about going back and getting them but decided against it because after the baby quilt, I already have pieces cut for another scrap quilt. I also bought a new rotary cutter. Rotary cutters are one modern invention that is a real improvement. 

I made Slow Cooker Homey Chicken Stew from the Slow Cooker Revolution cookbook. Man was it good! I have yet to make anything from that cookbook that hasn't been just delicious. I made biscuits to go with it to sop up the juice, so good!
I also made a big pot of beans and rice and sausage. We ate it and had some for leftovers and then froze the rest of it. For dessert, we had leftover pecan pie.

Reading has been really good. I finished To End All Wars by Adam Hochschild. It was one of the best history books I have ever read. I also finished A Week in Winter by Maeve Binchey; it was her last book before she died and it was a typically sweet Binchey book. Unfortunately, there will be no more. Currently, I am reading Mr. Churchill's Secretary by Susan MacNeal and Hot: Living through the Next Fifty Years on Earth by Mark Hertsgaard. 

I haven't made any progress on the guest bedroom makeover because we are still waiting for the new blinds and for the antique map prints to come in. 

Lots of birds at the feeders. Hummingbirds are stopping by for a feed on their way north. Unidentified warblers occasionally. Lots of blackbirds, doves, and a few sparrows. The usual mockingbirds, cardinals, blue jays, and titmouse. I saw one squirrel this week; it puzzles me why we don't have more squirrels here. 

2 comments:

Hattie said...

You are so busy and productive! I am sorry about your cat, and I hope she returns.

Folkways Note Book said...

Could be the squirrel population got hit by the coyotes as this past winter was rough on so many animal populations. All your food sounds delicious. What a busy time you have had! -- barbara