Thursday, September 24, 2009

Cooler Weather

We have had the hottest, driest summer I can remember--and I've seen a lot of them, LOL. Today is the first 24 hours that we have not had the air-conditioner on since May. We've had much needed rain too.

I've been fighting rose fungus on my roses. I have 4 different fungicides that I alternate but the best treatment is the cooler temperatures.

The hummingbirds are still with us but not in the numbers that they were last week. We usually have some passing through well into October. We send them on the way to Central America well fed. They love our salvia and bottle-brush bushes and butterfly weed and of course the sugar water in the feeders.

This has not been a butterfly year. A Monarch or two, a few Gulf frilaries, and a Tiger stripe now and then but nothing like normal. Maybe it was the horrid heat or drought.

Believe it or not, I still have a few tiny tomatoes and quite a few bell peppers.

Good by to Summer 2009!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't believe this talk about cooler weather! I've returned from Chicago, and it's 92 degrees and 100 percent humidity! Summer is still here in Houston, and it's not letting go!

Florence said...

Obviously you brought the heat and humidity back with you from Chicago b/c for one brief shining moment it was cool...er. LOL