Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Around OakMeadows

Sunrise

Yesterday we met with our Fidelity representative to go over our retirement and investments accounts. I wanted to see what our Minimum Required Distribution will be for the coming year. I was really surprised that JMM was agreeable to becoming much more conservative with his funds. I have always been slightly more conservative than him. I think he is looking at this long bull market and thinking that “all good things must come to an end” and moving toward less market exposure. The really great thing was a graph the representative showed us that if we live to 94 and 96, with our current rate of withdrawals and even assuming an underperforming market, we will not outlive our money.  (I know, Man plans, God laughs.) Anyway, it was rather reassuring. 

Cooler weather has finally arrived! Lows in mid 50s, highs in mid 60s. It is overcast and cool. Perfect. 

I am so pleased with the way my quilt top is coming along. I have all 36 blocks finished and pressed. Now I need to trim them and then I can begin stitching them together.  I joined a Facebook group of ScrapQuilters.  I have gotten so many good ideas. Actually, I have pulled out the fabric for the quilt after this one.  I think I need to have JMM take my sewing machine in for cleaning and servicing before I start on another top. 

Now for the awful news. One of my long time blog world friends was treated for pancreatic cancer with surgery and chemotherapy.  For the last 6 months we have thought that she had beaten it. But the last tests show an elevation of tumor markers and metastasis to the lungs. I am so very sorry because I have known her and her blog for at least 12 years. She is a really special person. I am still missing Marianne Schiefer from Hattie’s Web. 




2 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

Prayers for your friend, I hope she is not in pain. My hubby and I were just talking about a bear market, it is bound to happen. Our weather is in the 50's, feels chilly. It is nice you found a group of quilters and they all share their great ideas. Have a happy day!

Wisewebwoman said...

Yes, the sad news of long term blog friends is heartbreaking indeed, Florence. Another one also has made her final blog post, dear Ernestine. And Irene of the Netherlands was a daily read for me also. They become so dear to us.

XO
WWW