1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup poppy seeds
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs at room temperature
1/4 cup oil
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup lemon juice
2 Tablespoons grated lemon zest
1tsp vanilla extract
1. Position rack in center of the oven and preheat the oven to 400 F.
Prepare muffin tins with liners or spray with Pam.
2. Whisk flours, sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, whisk eggs and buttermilk until smooth. Whisk in lemon juice, oil, lemon zest, and vanilla until well combined. Stir in the prepared flour mixture until moistened.
4. Fill the prepared tins until 3/4 full. Bake for 20 minutes or until the muffins have lightly browned, rounded tops and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached.
5. Set the pan on a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cool for an additional 5 minutes before serving.