Monday, April 6, 2015

April Cooking--Pot Roast


Pot Roast

This is adapted from Pioneer Woman.  It is easy to put together and produces a tender (from the long cooking time in a low temperature oven), juicy roast with a very good gravy.  I usually make some mashed potatoes mostly for the gravy. 

Chuck Roast or Eye of Round Roast about 3 pounds (2 pounds if it is just Joe and me with plenty for leftovers)
3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 large Onion cut into quarters
4 large Carrots cut into 2 inch lengths
Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder to taste
1 cup red wine (can use beef stock)
2-3 cups Beef Stock
1 teaspoon dried Rosemary
1 teaspoon dried Thyme

Heat oven to 275 degrees and place oven shelf in the middle of the oven. 

Season meat with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. 

Heat 2 Tablespoons olive oil in a Dutch oven or other oven safe pan with a lid until very hot but not smoking.  Brown the onion quarters on each side about a minute per side and remove to a plate.  Add the carrots to the hot pan and brown for 2-3 minutes and remove to the plate with the onions. 

Add 1 tablespoon more olive oil to very hot pot and place seasoned roast in the pan. Brown on each side and remove to another plate. 

Add red wine and cook down for 2-3 minutes, scraping the bottom of the pan. 

Return roast to the pan and add the onions and carrots. 

Pour in Beef Stock until it is about half way up the roast. 

Sprinkle dried Rosemary and Thyme over the roast and vegetables. 

Cover with lid and place in oven at 275 degrees for about 3 hours. I cook a 2-3 pound roast for 3 hours. 

That's it. Enjoy. 

2 comments:

Rambling Woods said...

It is pot roast weather here..I didn't mean to upset you with my rooster post. The good news is that they rescued and saved them all including a dog and couple of hens and a duck. They are mostly adopted now into loving homes. I am amazed at what this group does for animals that many people don't give a second thought to. They also have a sanctuary for birds who can't be released. Mostly waterfowl and also do prosthetic work on feet and bills.. amazing...

Florence said...

Thanks Michelle, I know you wouldn't. I've always been hypersensitive to animal abuse. When I was 6 my mother took me to see Old Yeller and I was so upset that we had to leave the theater. I am so thankful for people who do recue work for all the creatures.