Saturday, October 18, 2014

insomnia

Today has been a more or less total write-off. I had a bout of insomnia last night and only went to sleep around 3:30 this morning and woke up at 6:30.  I got up and did the usual morning chores and went with JMM to do the weekly grocery shopping. Back to bed for a 2 hour morning nap. Up for lunch and back to bed for a 2 hour afternoon nap. Let's hope that all this napping today doesn't keep me awake tonight. 
When I went to the doctor last month for my annual physical, I mentioned my problem with insomnia and he recommended a therapist for cognitive behavior therapy. Guess I had best check into it. I am pretty sure my Humana Gold Medicare Advantage will not cover it but que sera. 

3 comments:

Hattie said...

My sleep last night was also disturbed. At 2:00 there was a terrific thunderclap that had me wide awake. We were being hit by the outer bands of a hurricane passing to the south of us. I didn't get back to sleep until 4:00 a.m.
I don't know if this would help, but I find that I have to have a small snack before bedtime.I can't sleep if I'm hungry. Also, I have pretty well given up alcohol, which can interfere with a good night's sleep.
Best of luck with the cognitive therapy. If I had severe insomnia problems, I'd probably take that route.

Hootin Anni said...

I've been there with lack of sleep before. I find my problem is mostly diet. Once I conquered the diet make over, I do pretty well. Until I mess up and eat the wrong things.

Good luck.

Florence said...

Anni, what changes did you make to your diet to help with your sleep? I'll try anything!

I'll keep posted about the cognitive behavior therapy.