Sunday, December 2, 2012

The Winter Garden

Gardening in the summer here on the Texas Gulf Coast is an exercise in frustration, aggravation, and heat exhaustion. I am not saying that I don't develop seasonal amnesia each spring and plant a doomed summer garden, I get the seed catalogues and have visions of a beautiful, bountiful summer garden.  About the only thing that truly thrives in our summer heat and humidity is okra.  Other than okra, what the heat and drought doesn't do in, is feasted on by one insect or another. 
Which brings us to the winter garden on the Texas Gulf Coast.  Greens- collards and turnips, kale, bok choy, and spinach.  Sugar snap peas are dependable.  All these do very well over the winter.  
The Burpee catalog is currently staring at me. It is to me what catnip is to my cat.  Silly cat, silly me. Maybe just a few tomato plants,  have to try some climbing beans, and cucumbers!  Carrots and squash. Oh dear!

1 comment:

Hattie said...

Okra, of all things. Well, winter is better where you are, I guess.
Our climate is more or less the same year round, never too hot or too cold, but we have some hungry bugs and other vermin, which makes it harder to grow things than one would think.