Friday, August 10, 2012

Hieronymus Bosch by Gary Schwartz

Hieronymus Bosch by Gary Schwartz

I had never heard of Bosch before reading this book for my art history project.  I was just blown away by his work.  We have definitely left the Madonna and Child era of the Renaissance. It is hard to describe Bosch's work other than imaginative, inventive, creative.  This book is a wonderful introduction to Bosch and the world he lived in.  It is brief but gives enough information about several of his paintings that you can begin to see that there is more than first meets the eye in the pictures.  In fact, I bought a magnifying glass so that I could more closely examine the smaller figures and the detail in the larger ones.  What I wouldn't give for a trip to the Prado to see The Seven Deadly Sins and The Garden of Delights!

1 comment:

Hattie said...

I actually got to see the Bosch at the Prado years ago. It was somewhat faded. But what really stunned me were the Goyas. Being ignorant of art at that time, I was totally taken by surprise. And I loved Durer's portrait of himself as a very young man. Is it possible to fall in love with a portrait? I think I did. And Valasquez's portrait of the Infanta. So many riches in one place.
I would guess by now the Prado has been all fixed up with air conditioning installed and the paintings garishly restored for mass tourism.