Thursday, December 15, 2011

Payroll Tax Holiday...or not

I do not particularly like paying taxes any more than anyone else but I have come to the conclusion that I hope Congress doesn’t get its act together enough to extend the current Payroll Tax holiday.  Why??  Because that is the money that funds Social Security.  Everyone runs around crying that the sky is falling because “Social Security won’t be there for me when I reach the age to need it.”  Well, duh, if you stop funding it, yes, when you need it, it probably won’t be there.  This is so typical of the American penchant for wanting the goodies without paying for them.  I happen to think that Social Security is a good thing as part of a retirement program and I want it to be there for me and for my descendants.  Therefore, it needs to be funded.  What a novel concept: If you want something, like say you want to start two wars on the other side of the world, you need to take out your wallet and pay for it. Same goes for Social Security.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Florence,
Amen! Isn't it unbelievable? A tax cut from spending people retirement money NOW instead of later?

And then Obama has the nerve to blame Republicans for NOT passing the bill?

Have we all gone daft????

Florence said...

It seems that we have.