Wednesday, June 22, 2011

President Obama's speech on troop withdrawal from Afghanistan

This evening President Obama will give a speech outlining his plan for withdrawing troops from Afghanistan.  I am worried.  In all probability, he will plan to remove 10,000 by the end of this year. That still leaves about 123,000 troops still there and another 100,000 contractors (according to those who should know).  10,000 is not nearly enough. We should have 30,000 (the surge) out by the end of the year, another 50,000 out by the end of 2012, and the remaining 50,000 by the end of 2013.  Cut the $$$ off to the contractors over the same period.  End the nation building in Afghanistan and start the nation building at home.  If anyone wants to support charity to Afghanistan, I'm sure they can find organizations doing charitable work there to donate to. 

I get extremely annoyed when I hear that we have to stay in Afghanistan because Pakistan has nuclear weapons.  So, are we going to stay until they don't have nuclear weapons??

I will be watching the speech tonight.  I am prepared to be very disappointed.  I wish I knew of an organization like Old Ladies Against the Wars in Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, Yemen, Somalia.....I guess the acronym would be too long...

No comments: