Sunday, August 24, 2008

What I just cannot stand

Animal suffering or abuse. I can't even read about it. This morning's newspaper had an article about polar bears swimming farther and farther as the Artic ice melts. I couldn't read it. Friday night on the radio there was a segment about increased poaching of elephants for ivory because of increased demand from China. I couldn't listen to it. Humans seem determined to destroy the larger wild animals if not directly then by habitat destruction.

There seems to be little that I can do other than love and care for the creatures that come into my life here at OakMeadows--raccoons, frogs, hummingbirds, and of course, sweet cats. I can lessen the amount of meat that I eat and make sure it is not factory farmed. I can donate to the Humane Society and The Nature Conservancy. I can vote to elect people with strong environments ethics. If I didn't focus on what I can do, I would truly despair.





Rats and roaches live by competition under the laws ofsupply and demand. It is the privilege of human beings to live under the laws of justice and mercy." - Wendell Berry

No comments: