Thursday, October 5, 2017

Miss Burma by Charmaine Craig

Miss Burma by Charmaine Craig

I really wanted to love this book but I ended up having very mixed feelings about it.  The history of Burma from just before the Second World War was something I knew little about and today’s headlines about the persecution of the Rohingya people piqued my interest. It gets off to an interesting, well-written start so I thought it was going to be a real 5 Star. Soon, though, I was slogging my way through overthought out, over written introspective prose. Every page has endless description of every facial expression and thought and every change of thought and every thought about the thought. A second and equal problem, perhaps more irritating, is that there is no ending. After three hundred pages with these people, it just ends. No epilogue to explain what happened to this family that you've learned so much about and grew to care about. Most unsatisfactory end. 

1 comment:

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I hate a book without a satisfactory ending... it doesn't have to be a happy one, it just has to have one.