Friday, September 4, 2015

September Poetry

Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Thou art more lovely and more temperate.
Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May,
And summer's lease hath all too short a date.
Sometime too hot the eye of heaven shines,
And often is his gold complexion dimmed;
And every fair from fair sometime declines,
By chance, or nature's changing course untrimmed.
But thy eternal summer shall not fade
Nor lose possession of that fair thou ow'st;
Nor shall death brag thou wand'rest in his shade,
When in eternal lines to time thou grow'st,
So long as men can breathe or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee. 

3 comments:

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

My mother was raised in the South and learned to recite poetry as what was called (she told us) " parlor entertainment." Living in the West a generation later, we kids thought it was the quaintest silliest thing! But she'd still recite some of her childhood pieces for us ... This was one of them! Now, needless to say, I wish ii had paid more attention to her stories and her poems. (And as soon as I grew out of my terrible teens, I did learn to appreciate poetry ..l and I did let her know that before it was too late! )

Florence said...

Hi Sallie, I have been a late comer to poetry. I was always the math/science nerd and saw absolutely no reason for poetry. Until a few years ago when I discovered Mary Oliver. Perhaps it was a case of the teacher appearing when the student was finally ready but Mary Oliver opened my eyes to poetry and I am loving exploring this whole new world. Who knows perhaps one day I will appreciate Shakespeare's plays.

Rambling Woods said...

I too was not interested in poetry until Mary Oliver... Michelle