Monday, January 26, 2009

The Environment

I've been interested in environmental issues since high school. I remember that the Sierra Club had a monthly paper and can recycling project. I faithfully collected all our paper and cans and took them to the pick up location. JMM and I still recycle cans, bottles, and paper; I wonder how many tons of paper, cans, and bottles we have collected and recycled over the decades. I love the beauty of nature and realize how we utterly dependent our species is on a delicately functional environment. But what I truly love are the little creatures--the skunks, raccoons, bees, butterflies, and the innumerable others that live in the little nooks and crannies of habitat.

There are many other people who are much more active in environmental issues than I am and there are others who have chosen much more environmentally friendly lifestyles than I have. But I have made the best choices that I could within the restraints of my life. One of the things I want to do when the house is paid off is to contribute to the Nature Conservancy of Texas on a regular basis.

No comments: